Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Reflections from the girl who will never grow old

When I got home from work today, I went to play with my nephew in his room. He was watching a rather familiar movie and I realized it was Annie!

For those of you who may not be aware of the plot, I've copy-pasted a summary from IMDB.

In the depths of the 1930's, Annie is a fiery young orphan girl who must live in a miserable orphanage run by the tyrannical Miss Hannigan. Her seemingly hopeless situation changes dramatically when she is selected to spend a short time at the residence of the wealthy munitions industrialist, Oliver Warbucks. Quickly, she charms the hearts of the household staff and even the seemingly cold-hearted Warbucks cannot help but learn to love this wonderful girl. He decides to help Annie find her long lost parents by offering a reward if they would come to him and prove their identity. However, Miss Hannigan, her evil brother, Rooster, and a female accomplice, plan to impersonate those people to get the reward for themselves which put Annie in great danger. Written by Kenneth Chisholm

Annie has come in many different forms and versions- from a comic sript, to a broadway musical to a movie. Her role has likewise been played by numerous girls. One of them is Lea Salonga which I believe owed Annie ( and Kim of Miss Saigon) her successful career as a singer and an actress.

What was so special about this Annie was it was the same version my family and I used to enjoy when I was young. Back in then, Annie was played in betamax. (o, ha! Ngayon, street food nalang ang natitirang betamax).

Watching the film was simply nostalgic. I was surprised to learn that I still memorize most songs as well as the talking lines. Everything was a trip down to memory lane. What was so peculiar about that experience was that I got teary-eyed when Annie was packing since her "parents" were taking her away from Mr. Warbucks. And that was something new.

When I was a child I dont remember getting all emo about it. All I remember was having fun, singing and throwing lines even before they were delivered. Once again it dawned in me that I have grown up. Perhaps, I have taken the story in with more depth and maturity. Another probable reason was that the movie made me remember my dad. He was like Mr. Warbucks- stiff and strict yet always had a soft spot for his kids. I miss him quite often these days perhaps because it Fathers' day celebrated just this Sunday.

--

One famous music from the movie was Tomorrow. When Annie was sad, she would sing this song and lifted some inspiration from it. It's funny that whenever I feel down, I hum the same song too and has always given me hope and courage to move forward.

Its so funny that although Annie always looked forward to tomrrow, she never grew old. Years back Annie and I were just of the same age. Now, I may be old enough as her kuya but her wisdom and optimism still captures me. Yes, that little child's hope still remains my source of inspiration to this day.

2 comments:

  1. KOOOI, I miss our duets!! SUN AND MOON!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sheet I miss that too! eh ang "miss me but let me go"??? remember that?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails